Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mommy's Helpers

Creating a meal plan has not only organized my nights, it has also made shopping and prep easier too. As a large family, meals can be overwhelming, and not just financially but mentally and physically as well.

Instead of having to go through my cupboards to see what things I can throw together, I just look at my menu, find something that sounds good, and go grab the ingredients. I know the ingredients are there because I use my menu as a shopping list as well. I always make sure to have starchy staples, canned goods and things that we normally eat as well as any special items I might need for a particular meal.

I make breakfast simple, especially for days that I know will be crazy. The lunches are always something the older kids can make, if need be, or leftovers from the night before. The snacks are things I can get in bulk, like popcorn, veggies and dip, fruit, gold fish crackers etc. The dinners are nothing elaborate or time consuming, but always filling and things the family enjoys. I throw in a few tester meals to spice things up. If the family likes them then the recipe gets thrown in the tickle file, where it can be brought out on occasion. 

I start my menu by looking at local circular ads from our grocery stores. The first thing I do is see what meats are on sale. Then I think up meals that the meat could be used for. Then I go to items on sale that can be used for sides, and my staple pantry items.

There are certain items I always like to keep in my pantry. Spices, sugar, flour, canned veggies, cake mixes, jello/pudding, noodles, dehydrated milk, beans, sauces, gravy, tuna/chicken, dressings, baking needs like soda, baking powder, vanilla and so on. I try not to run out of those things just in case I need to make a meal in a pinch. Some of our best meals, and most liked by picky eaters, are the meals we throw together. Sometimes its ok to just wing it on a meal, but menues can simplify your time spent with meals and kitchen time.

I have also made it a chore for the kids to each take turns doing dishes. My younger kids get a kick out if, my older kids not so much. Its a good life skill for them though and it gives me a chance to do other things that need to be done as well. I created a chore chart to remind me of things that need done on a daily basis as well as a weekly and monthly basis, to better keep my self on track as well as the kids. We have a "mommy helper" each day which gives them each a day to feel super special and to be with me as my sidekick. So far they are all enjoying it, and honestly, so am I. I plan to keep my menues every month so eventually I can just rotate meals and mix and match things , so coming up with ideas will become a little simpler.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I stumbled onto your blog. Just wanted to say, "Hello". I'm also a SAHM of 6 kids - from almost 2 years old to 11 years. I love hearing how other moms out there are managing the daily joys and struggles of a bigger than average family. If you're interested, my blog is tryingtocontrolthechaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete